The meta show: Ben and David turn their gaze inward and examine the podcasting industry through E. W. Scripps’ recent acquisitions of the Midroll podcast advertising network and Stitcher podcast client. Featuring discussion of our own product process and metrics at Acquired.
- We’re pivoting! (not really) Our new show description: A Podcast About Technology Acquisitions That Actually Went Well
- But we are launching a new feature! Since so many of you, our listeners, are also tech and startup folks and/or other builders, we wanted to create a space to feature cool products, companies and side projects you’re working on. Thus we’re adding a "Community Showcase” section to the show. If you’d like to be included just send us a Slack message or email, and we’ll choose one submission to feature on each show. This episode we’re highlighting BESTR, from community member David Resnick (aka @the_rezonator in Slack), which is an online platform to share lists of great things. Check it out and let David know what you think.
Topics covered include:
- Top Google search results for “acquired podcast"
- Midroll’s origins in the comedy podcast Comedy Bang Bang (now an tv show on IFC) and exit last year to Scripps
- The structural challenges inherent to podcasting as a medium and the gap between audience size/engagement and industry revenues
- Opportunities for independent podcasters and our own audience and business metrics at Acquired
- Stitcher’s long corporate history as a venture backed company, first acquisition by French music company Deezer, and now second acquisition from Deezer by Scripps
- Problems with Stitcher as a product and industry reaction to the acquisition including John Gruber's response, Ben Thompson’s article on Stratechery, and Ben & James Allworth's discussion on their excellent podcast Exponent
- Handicapping Stitcher+Midroll’s chances for success within Scripps, and opportunities for new startups & innovation in the podcasting space
- Pioneer Square Labs’ own past efforts in the podcasting space and their process for evaluating potential new company ideas
- Shoutout to Pocket Casts and our listeners down under
- Twitch: bringing tipping onto the platform with the launch of Cheering + Bits (H/t Slack community member jamesk)
- Facebook Instant Articles: pour one out for Facebook Paper (developed by the Push Pop Press team)
- LinkedIn: the hotly anticipated SEC filing detailing all the negotiation drama is now live (scroll down to "Background of the Merger” on p.31)
The Carve Out