About the Show
It has expanded to tell the stories behind great companies more broadly, diving deep into the events and strategies that brought them to where they are today. The show reaches over 75,000 listeners, and has received over three million downloads. It is regularly a top-10 Technology show on Apple Podcasts, and has built a passionate audience with a 5-star Apple Podcasts rating.
- Kara Swisher, The New York Times, and Co-Founder of Recode
"This is why we want to be on the Acquired podcast — because you understand. You actually do your homework and you have a sophisticated understanding of the intricacies. You're like the Stratechery of podcasting."
- Kevin Hartz, Co-Founder and Chariman of Eventbrite
"Big fan of the show. I'm a paying Acquired LP."
- Garry Tan, Founder and Managing Partner, Initialized Capital
"I found a really interesting new podcast for the first time in a while: @AcquiredFM. They tell the story of a business in a way that teaches you a ton about the landscape around it."
- Patrick OShaughnessy, Invest Like the Best (@patrick_oshag)
"Current obsession: The @AcquiredFM podcast. Each episode feels like a crash course in business reporting."
- Ben Mullin, WSJ (@BenMullin)
"Those guys are doing great work. One of the more thoughtful tech podcasts out there."
- Steve Schlafman (@schlaf)
"Thought you'd like to know you've officially gone from being among my favorite podcasts to having your podcasts on the newest Innovation Management syllabus at @NorthwesternU."
- Karl T. Muth, Northwestern University (@KarlMuth)
Listeners are Entrepreneurial
- 60% work at a technology company
- 55% work at a startup (privately-held, high-growth)
- 23% are currently company founders
- 15% were previously company founders
- 52% aspire to be a company founder in the future
Listeners are Technical and are Often CEOs
Breakdown by primary job function:
- United States: 55%
- United Kingdom: 7%
- Canada: 5%
- Australia: 3%
- India: 3%
- China: 3%
- Germany: 2%
By U.S. Market
- San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose: 24%
- New York: 11%
- Los Angeles: 8%
- Seattle / Tacoma: 7%
- Boston MA / Manchester: 4%
- Chicago: 4%
- Other: 42%
After a recent season, we asked 688 of our listeners to describe the sponsorship impact:
- 23% (155) of respondents answered, “I'm more likely to choose [sponsor] as my company's [provider] in the future after hearing about them on Acquired”
- An additional 20% (133) of respondents answered, “I'm not sure if I'm any more likely to choose [sponsor] as my company's [provider] or not, but I do look more favorably on the company now”
- A full 22 people (3.2%) answered, “My company is a client of [sponsor], and Acquired had some impact on that.”
Some of our favorite quotes:
- “When founding a new startup, I [used sponsor] specifically because of Acquired.”
- “Most podcasts who have sponsors suck. The ones showcased here are actually appropriate and have good insights.”
- “I like that the way that the [sponsor]marketing is done doesn’t feel like they’re trying to sell. It feels like the [sponsor] reps are providing insights and are friendly/accessible. As an employee of a [provider], it makes me wish I worked for a [provider] like [sponsor].”
- “I really think that this has elevated [sponsor] for me. Honestly, they weren't on my radar previously. Their longevity with the show also says a lot.” (From a former VP of a Fortune 500 company)
- “You guys do a great job of presenting them in an intriguing way, that caused me to do more research on their company.”
- “I love that the Q&A is relevant to startups. This is one of the few podcasts where I actually listen to the sponsors rather than skipping ahead.” (From the Head of Marketing at a startup)
- “I really trust the sponsors that David and Ben bring in. I would be much more likely to pay attention to this endorsement as compared to a larger podcast network.”
- “My company was already an [sponsor] client, but now they seem somehow cooler.”